Saturday, April 3, 2010

Spoon Concert Review: Thursday, April 1

Spoon was pretty amazing.

I feel like an old woman, but I was a little upset that they played mostly their newest album. I just haven't gotten into Transference as much yet, but that's my own fault. "The Mystery Zone" and "Written in Reverse" are their obvious catchy hits that I enjoyed live, but I love "Who Makes Your Money" and "Trouble Comes Running." They remind me more of the unique sound of some of their older stuff, like "Paper Tiger" and "The Ghost of You Lingers" (so similar to "Who Makes Your Money").
The band sounded spot-on, but missed that extra oomph that some bands are good at bringing to live shows. They played a good variety though, and their show lasted about two hours, which was impressive. Britt Daniel told us before about 50 different songs that they were only playing one more track, and then after all of that they had a 5-song encore. They played my favorite, "The Beast and Dragon Adored," so I didn't have many concerns.

They told us that we were the best audience they have had, and although I usually believe that's a load of bull, we were pretty amazing. At the end of the concert, Daniel came down and shook everyone's hands that were lined up against the gate (mine being one of them). I love it when bands are actually humble, and at least pretend like every fan counts. I'd love to party with them. And, in case anyone was wondering, the band's drink of choice is MGD.

Just a comment, not about the band, but of the concert. I miss small venues in little Columbia, MO. Spoon played a sold-out show at the Aragon Ballroom, and its capacity 4,500. It was ridiculous. There are places in the theater where there's no way you can see the band from that far back. I miss The Blue Note, where no matter what you'll at least see the band. I also hate crowds. The amount of people there Thursday night was just a tad ridiculous. Never thought I'd say this, but I miss seeing shows in Missouri. Love Chicago, but its concerts are lacking a bit.

Download: Spoon -- The Mystery Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment