Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mixtape

I have a music-searching routine because I am crazy and compulsive. At any given time I have a “new playlist” that has about 1300 songs on it (1308 right now,) and I throw all “new” music there once it pours into my itunes. Some of this stuff isn’t new to the music world by any means, but it is new to me. The only way to remove these songs from said list is to hit a play count of 4, and if it makes it through 4 plays without me deleting it, the song can stay permanently in my itunes library. And for a select few that I love, I drag them onto a playlist that I then burn for my friend and mail to him in Iowa. Right now I’m working on the Spring 2010 playlist that has almost 20 songs, and then I will close it out and mail him a copy (I sent him two spring break CDs last month. Needless to say, I have a lot of playlists saved on my itunes).

So, the point of this post: I thought I would share a few of the songs that I am actually listening to on a daily basis. Here is my Spring 2010 mix.

1. The National – Terrible Love. So I realize that this album “hasn’t been released yet,” but it has for me. My friend got me into this band a little more than a year ago, and I saw them at Pitchfork last summer. Matt Berninger’s voice is just so unique. Sometimes their songs run together for me, but like my friend Andy says, it sounds like one song, but it’s definitely a song that I love.

Watch: The National -- Terrible Love

2.Vampire Weekend -- Giving up the gun
3. Xavier Rudd – Messages
4. Portugal. The Man – Shade
5. Camera Obscura – The Sweetest Thing. I got “Swans” by this band a few months back, and was just captivated by Tracyanne Campbell’s voice. So… sweet. I can’t really think of another way to describe it.
6. Paper Route – Dance on our Graves

Download: Paper Route -- Dance on our Graves

7. Little Dragon – Twice
8. Free Energy – Bang Pop. I got their single, “Free Energy” back in October, but it got lost in my mess of new music. It wasn’t until I got “Dream City” from a free mixed CD that I was prompted to download their entire album. Great upbeat band.
9. Social Studies – Live for Today

Download their Daytrotter Session.

10. Micachu & The Shapes – Just in Case
11. Yeasayer – One. One of my favorite bands. If you don’t listen to them yet, there’s something wrong with you.

Watch their awesome 90s-infused music video: Yeasayer -- One

12. LCD Soundsystem – Dance Yrself Clean
13. The Dead Weather – I cut like a buffalo

Download: The Dead Weather -- I cut like a buffalo

14. Local Natives – Shape Shifter. It’s really a toss up every day over which Local Natives song is my favorite. Amazing band. Every single track is worth the “new playlist” status.
15. Silversun Pickups – Substitution. Old, I know, but I love it now.
16. Beach House – Walk in the Park
17. The Rocketboys – Sights and Sounds.
 
Great Daytrotter session.

18. The Rosewood Thieves – Los Angeles
19. The Dutchess and the Duke – Hands

Download two Daytrotter Sessions

20. Jenslekman – Kanske Ar Jagkar I Pig

No comments:

Post a Comment