Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Album Review: The National, "High Violet"


The National. My best friend from home got me obsessed a little more than a year ago, and they are amazing. I'll be honest, I was a little hesitant to allow myself to become obsessed, because it was one of those instances in which I received two full albums in a huge music exchange with a friend, and digging through it all seemed too overwhelming. Especially given that a lot of their tracks do sound similar, but after some time I grew to love both Alligator and Boxer. I saw them last July at Pitchfork, and they were awesome. Matt Berninger's baritone is so unique.

So, High Violet leaked, and I would like to offer my rave review of it. Every track is incredible, and each one works to create this amazing 11-track package of an album. It's not often that I say I sincerely enjoy each track that a band releases, but this is definitely one of those cases. I've already mailed two copies off to various cities in Iowa (yes, it is weird that my two best friends from home both go to Iowa state schools...)

The album opens with "Terrible Love," one of my immediate favorites of the album. It's repetitive, catchy, and definitely the right song to open with. Chill guitar riffs, pleasant beats, a slow crescendo toward the middle of the song -- sooo National-esque.

The lyrics in "Sorrow" carry the song, although I do have to admit that I'm one of those obsessive lyric types. My friend and I have defined three types of music people. 1. Lyrics: those who appreciate music for its words. 2. Tune: those who look for a melody. 3. Beat: anyone who loves a bass, a beat, some sort of rhythm. Obviously all three are necessary for a good piece of music, but I love lyrics. They are what drive a song for me, and Berninger does not disappoint.

"Little Faith" is my least favorite track of the album, but that doesn't really mean anything about its merits because like I said, there is no disappointing track on High Violet. "Bloodbuzz Ohio" is the next single of the band's, and it's obvious just from listening to the catchy lyrics and melody. "Lemonworld" is my other favorite of the album, his crooning has just never been better. "Doo doo doo doo..." it's just so beautiful. And then they end with Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks, which is the slowest, most ballad-esque track, and just makes you smile as it fades and the album ends. Sigh. It's just wonderful.

I would tell you to go out and buy the album, but obviously that is not possible yet. Wait til May 11, then buy it. Or, stream it at the NY Times (and read the article. It's great, and much better writing than this...)

1 comment:

  1. WEB SHERIFF
    Who You Gonna Call
    Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
    Fax 44-(0)208 323 8080
    websheriff@websheriff.com
    www.websheriff.com

    Hi Katlyn,

    On behalf of Beggars, 4AD and The National many thanks for plugging "High Violet" on your site (street date 11th May) ... .. thanks, also, on behalf of the label, management and artist for not posting any pirate links to unreleased (studio) material and, if you / your readers want good quality, non-pirated, preview tracks, then a full length, high quality version of "BloodBuzz Ohio" is available for fans and bloggers to link to / post / host etc from www.highviolet.com/thenational_bloodbuzzohio.mp3 and “Afraid of Everyone” is now also available from www.soundcloud.com/ninasles/afraid-of-everyone-the-national ... .. for further details of the new album, on-line promotions, videos and 2010 shows, check-out the official site, as well as the band's MySpace at www.myspace.com/thenational and YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/beggars ... .. and keep an eye on these official sources for details of further news, preview material and on-line promotions.

    Thanks again for your plug.

    Regards,

    WEB SHERIFF

    ReplyDelete