Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pitcfork Music Festival 2010

Pitchfork just announced more acts at it's annual music festival in Chicago, Union Park, July 16-18. I went last year, and it was a nice change of pace from Lollapalooza. Exponentially more Hipster, but that's another story altogether. (Whole Foods is one of the sponsors. Organic food, chain smoking, wheat beer and plaid are everywhere).

BUT the main angst in this post is going to center around the fact that I CANNOT GO THIS YEAR. My family reunion is the same weekend, and although I would usually miss it, my aunt isn't doing well and I need to go to be with her.

So, instead, I need to live vicariously through someone. Anyone. Buy tickets.The three-day passes sold out in like a week, but you can still buy one-days. Here is the lineup (with my intelligent commentary, of course). Get the full lineup, here.

Friday:
Modest Mouse and Broken Social Scene are both playing on Friday. Granted, I've seen both of them in concert, (Modest Mouse more than once,) but they're just amazing bands.


Watch: Broken Social Scene -- 7/4 Shoreline



Saturday:
LCD Soundsystem, Raekwon, Free Energy, jj and Wolf Parade are all playing. I'm most upset about missing Wolf Parade, although I know that's ridiculous because LCD is legendary. I saw Wolf Parade in concert like two years ago, and they just had so much energy. 

Watch: Wolf Parade -- I'll Believe in Anything

Free Energy is a band I got into a couple of months ago after I got their single, "Free Energy" for free somewhere. I don't remember where, to be honest. It happens frequently. 

jj is a reallllly low-key band. I'm not that into them, just because none of their songs really catch me, but they're talented. I should spend more time with their CD, but I feel like they'd do cool things live.


Sunday:
Pavement. Everyone is losing it over Pavement's reunion after disappearing for 10 years, but I'm not, really. I feel like an awful music person for saying that, but, I just don't get it as much as I should, I guess. They'd be fun live, though.


Download: Pavement (four songs. It's from a blog I found that has a ton of more heavy indie music, freeindie.com, coincidentally. Not easy to forget).


Sunday is the best day. St. Vincent, Beach House, Girls, Surfer Blood, Local Natives... gahhh so many amazing acts. I'm seeing Local Natives in May, so I'm not really too distraught, but I'm upset about Beach House. I hear they put on an amaziing show. I've acquired like six tracks from various free sites, but here's my favorite for you.

Download: Beach House -- Walk in the Park

No comments:

Post a Comment