Thursday, March 25, 2010

Portugal. The Man Concert Review: Wednesday, March 24

Okay, so I wrote a review for Vox, but writing it in my own non-Vox-voice words is so much more fun.

Portugal. The Man was aaamazing last night. One of the best concerts I've been to (and I attend concerts almost on a weekly basis... That's a big deal). I was also alone, because my friends went to see the Wailers instead, but I didn't care. Fog poured out of the stage, and the four members jammed for at least an hour and a half. And that's exactly what it was -- jamming. They took all of their already amazing songs and added a live spin to each one.

Their six albums are all very different, but they were somehow able to play a continuous set that jumped from album to album while still remaining coherent. They played everything back to back, choosing a poppy song from American Ghetto, a blues-y track from Church Mouth, and then immediately flowing through to an indie-alternative pick from Satanic Satanist.


The group played each of my favorites, "Do You", "People Say", "The Dead Dog" and "Shade" being some of them, and the crowd was crazy. The band utilized lasers, fog, heavy guitar solos and really never took a break. I fell in love, just slightly, last night. Listen to this band, please. They are awesome.

AND they retweeted my review from Vox. I cannot contain my excitement. That means they probably read it. And their fans are going to read it. And then John Gourley or Zachary Carothers is going to come find me and profess his love for me. Probably. Just saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment