Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hello World.

I have decided to make a music blog. Really, because it's required it one of my journalism classes, but don't get me wrong, I do really love music.

It's not going to be formal, because I have a hard time maintaining any types of formality. Hopefully at least one person out there enjoys my completely eclectic taste in music, because not only do I love music friends but I'm pretty sure the analytics of this thing are part of my grade..

I've been listening to quite a bit of new music lately. I've gotten more into Vampire Weekend's newest album, Contra, but the band I'm currently obsessed with is Portugal. The Man. This is partly because I interviewed the bassist, Zachary Carothers, who is the most down-to-earth person I've ever met, but they're really just an amazing band. All of their youtube videos are them just jamming, having a good time, and Carothers spoke to me for 45 minutes about his tour, his back injury and his life. Their newest album, American Ghetto, came out on March 2, but Satanic Satanist is still my favorite (probably because I have yet to completely get into the new one yet). They're coming to Columbia on the 24, and I'm stoked (also because I'm secretly hoping to meet Carothers and the entire band... He told me to introduce myself...)

Download (bottom of the page): Portugal. The Man: The Sun

I also just purchased Rogue Wave's Permalight and am having a hard time saying bad things about it. Pitchfork didn't look too kindly on the album, because they said it was too cheery and lost their edge, but Rogue Wave is a happy band. You can't make an album with Zach Rogue singing that isn't somewhat optimistic. Pitchfork is blaming it on Zach Rogue's brush with death after two discs slipped in his neck, but you try making a depressing album after you've just found out that you're not in fact going to be paralyzed for the rest of your life.

Download (bottom of the page): Rogue Wave: Right With You

No comments:

Post a Comment