Thursday, March 25, 2010

Upcoming Concerts

I was glancing over the Blue Note and Mojo's Web sites today, (the two major concert venues in Columbia, the Blue Note being larger and hosts more popular bands,) and a few things struck me. I really enjoy lists, which you will come to learn if you continue to read my blog, so here is my list for the day.

1. First of all, I'm excited about the band KCOU was able to get for Summerfest (which is the free show that the local student-run radio station presents every summer). Of Montreal will be playing on May 26. OF MONTREAL. And it's free. My freshman year I believe they had The Walkmen, before their newest album and their new surge in popularity, and there was no one in the crowd (my friend and I went and shouted things at the lead singer, Hamilton, because I was mildly obsessed with them back in high school, but we were just two obnoxious girls in a crowd of 20). Of Montreal played a sold-out show last year in Columbia, and now KCOU got them. I'm really just angry that I will not be here. Granted, I'll be on a plane to London so I have no right to complain, but Of Montreal... Their live shows are epic. Everyone who will be in town needs to go.

Watch: Of Montreal -- An Eluardian Instance. I love this song, but this live show isn't as crazy as ones I've seen in the past. Last year they came out in animal costumes and bizarre clothing, with random dancers in the back. It was ridiculous(ly awesome).

2. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros will be in Columbia on June 15, and Dawes will open for them. I'm obsessed with this band. I found them randomly on a blog a few months back, and they're awesome. They have some country twangs, but I would mostly categorize their music as indie-folk (whatever that means). Again, I'm super upset I'm not going to be in town, but I will be in Greece by June 15... Listening to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros on a beach on Serifos, a Greek southern island.

Download: Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros -- Home

3. Local Natives plays Mojo's May 19. They're amazing. I've been listening to them since their Daytrotter session last spring, (the best blog in the world. They have bands come into their studios to play a set of tracks that they then give out for free to readers). But I've become mildly obsessed since then. "Who Knows Who Cares" and "Airplanes" are both amazing, but "World News" sucked me in.

Download: Local Natives -- World News AND Airplanes (from Daytrotter. Then spend an hour listening and downloading the various bands that they have. It's worth it, I promise).

No comments:

Post a Comment